Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Market Research

          As there are many products similar to Polos, there are many adverts which we have to compete with. We need to make our advert stand out from all of the rest, and have the audience feel attracted more to ours than to others. For us to know how we should make our advertisement different, we need to look at others already out there to get a sense of what needs to be different. I will look at various advertisements from the past/present and will analyse them. By the end of this task, I hope to find out how forms and styles are effectively used and which adverts are popular with audiences. 



          The first advertisement I have found is a 2012 advertisement by the company Mentos. This advertisement helps me understand what people like right now at this present time as it has very recently been on TV. I, personally, do not find this advertisement very funny and this has helped me realise that, when making an advert in the style of comedy, it can either go very well or very badly. I do not feel that this advertisement has been created badly, I just think that the humour is rather poor, with the joke element to it not being very humorous. I do, however, feel that this advertisement has been thought about well and it fits in with the times; I feel this because there have been a lot of programmes/films out relating to the Sci-Fi genre, such as The Hunger Games, Prometheus, and Chronicle. People who like this genre, and the style of comedy, will relate to this advert which means that they are more likely to find it interesting and want to go out and purchase the product.

   


        I then found another Mentos advert, still in the style of comedy, advertising the same product. It shows a man saying "eeny, meeny, miny, moe, catch a tiger by the toe" etc. whilst trying to select which mint to have. He then looks down and a tiger is caught, by the toe, in a trap and replies to him "do I really need to holler?". This is a comedic advertisement, which I did find funny so I thought that Mentos made an improvement. It could have easily, though, went the other way and I may not have found it funny at all. I think that the company chose to create an advertisement that would come up on screen and be very random to attract all audiences and not targeting it at a specific audience; this means that it appeals to more people and they may get more customers. Also, the fact of it being spontaneous means that people are more likely to remember it as it is very memorable and something to talk about. This advertisement has been taken well and is well liked, and I feel that the comedic route they have taken has paid off and this is a good advertisement overall. 


          


          This advertisement is from a company Eclipse selling their new "chewy mints". It is, like the others, in the style of comedy; I feel that this advertisement pulls this style off the best. It shows a man and a woman waking up in bed, with the man offering the woman a mint. They look rather scruffy, as they have just woken up, which people can relate to as they too themselves probably look like this in the morning. He then passes the mint to the lady and, as the camera pans back to him with his hand in shot the whole time, he has changed clothes as if by magic. The camera then pans back to her and she, too, has changed clothes. The camera then pans back to the man and so on and so fourth a few more times, with them changing clothes each time; they then, finally, end up wearing perfectly white clothes, with the woman saying "you look fresher" and the man replying "I'm an ice man". This creates the, sort of, illusion that the mints are so fresh it turns them white, as mints are associated with this colour as it is as "cool as ice". I like this advertisement, as it is funny, and very interesting which makes it memorable to audiences. 

          




          I have concluded that my advertisement should be in the style of comedy, as it will fit in with all adverts although, at the same time, stand out as it does not relate to the same genres. The only worrying thing that I have learnt from my research is that either the advert will make people laugh or it, quite simply, won't. What I also learnt from this research is that you should create an advert that people can relate to which also relates to what is on the scene at the moment; this is why I have decided to chose the medieval time period as there are programmes out there that relate to this, such as Merlin, Robin Hood etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment